Children’s Services Assistant
We are seeking an enthusiastic professional for a full-time position in our busy Children’s Department. Applicants must have a Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited institution, and experience working in a public or school library. Interested candidates should have excellent customer service and technology skills, a strong knowledge of children’s literature, and a love of reading. Experience with Sierra ILS is a plus. This is a 35 hour union position with full benefits, and includes evening hours and a Friday/Saturday rotation. To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume and the names of three professional references to First Selectman James M. Zeoli, 617 Orange Center Road, Orange, CT 06477 or firstname.lastname@example.org by 4:30 p.m. Friday, February 16, 2018. EOE.
Works directly with the public in the Children’s Department to provide library service to children, teens and adults.
- Works under the direct supervision of the Head of Children’s Services or other designated supervisor.
- Receives oral or written instructions from the Head of Children’s Services or other designated supervisor.
- Assists and instructs children, teens, and adults in the use of library materials and equipment including the public access catalog, online databases, and the Internet.
- Performs all circulation tasks and serves on the public service desks.
- Assists with programming for children and teens including story hours, craft programs, summer reading activities and special events.
- Participates in collection development activities as assigned.
- Assists in the preparation of bibliographies, bulletin boards and displays for the Children’s and Teen Departments.
- Assists in preparation of department statistics and reports using Excel or other software.
- Performs special tasks as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Strong public service attitude and knowledge of the principles and practices of library service, especially as applicable to Children’s Services.
- Knowledge of children’s and teen literature.
- Ability to work harmoniously with children, teens, adults and members of the library staff.
- Ability and willingness to acquire new computer and technology skills as necessary.
- Ability to deal with multiple and extra unexpected tasks and patrons simultaneously.
- Initiative, creativity, flexibility, resourcefulness and good judgment.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
REQUIRED EQUIPMENT OPERATION
This position requires use of standard office equipment, including, but not limited to: computers and peripherals; network printers; typewriters; fax machines; photocopiers; and telephone systems.
REQUIRED PHYSICAL EFFORT/MENTAL ABILITY
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required: to push and pull loaded book trucks weighing up to 200 pounds; to frequently stand, walk, stoop, bend, reach and grasp, kneel or crouch, and sit, with frequent change of positions; to regularly lift and/or move up to 20 lbs; and to cover large distances and walk quickly to retrieve materials, including use of stairs.
Master’s Degree in Library Science or Bachelor’s Degree and experience working in a public or school library or an equivalent combination of education and experience. This is a full-time, 35 hours/week position, and includes a Friday/Saturday rotation and some evening hours.
This job description is for identification and administrative purposes only. It is not intended to be a complete statement of all duties, which may be assigned by the supervisor according to varying needs.