“Friends are treasures.” – Horace Bruns
Who We Are
- Friends CULTIVATE the Library’s future
- Friends help foster POSITIVE RELATIONSHIPS between the Friends and the community
- Friends PROMOTE READING and literacy
What We Do
- Friends RAISE FUNDS to support the Library
- Friends host SPECIAL PROGRAMMING for adults and children
- Friends operate and oversee the three annual BOOK SALES
- Friends provide VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
- Friends SUPPORT EDUCATIONAL ORGANIZATIONS with book donations
Founded in 1992, the Friends of the Case Memorial Library is a group of people of all ages who share an interest in reading and the well-being of the Library. Friends support the Library through fundraising and volunteering and their generosity helps to support many programs and materials for the Library including lectures, theatrical performances, museum passes, new technology, and other special events and materials.
The Friends are governed by a Board of Directors who meet monthly to consider and organize projects to benefit the Case Memorial Library. Members of the Friends are welcome to attend any monthly board meeting as well as weekly meetings in the Library to work on the book sale.
- Book Sales: The Friends raise funds for the Library three times a year through their Book Sale, the Friends’ primary fundraising event. All of the merchandise is generously donated by individuals in the community and the proceeds are used to purchase “extras” for the Library. For more information about the Book Sales, please click here.
- Museum Passes: The Friends provide passes for free and discounted admission to 20 area museums and cultural attractions including the Peabody Museum, Beardsley Zoo, Mystic Aquarium, Florence Griswold Museum, and both the Intrepid Museum and Frick Museum in New York City.
- Programs: The Friends sponsor a number of wonderful programs for people of all ages through the year. In the past, the Friends have hosted award-winning musicians, authors, and actors; magicians; storytellers; and lecturers, among countless others.
- Holiday Decorations: The Friends invite civic organizations, social groups, and local businesses to share in decorating the Library for the holiday season every November and December.
- Lucy Scillia Scholarship: The Friends established the Lucy Scillia Scholarship in 2012 in memory of longtime Friend and member of the Library Commission Lucy Scillia who was a Librarian dedicated to fostering the love of learning and reading. Each year the Friends award the Lucy Scillia Scholarship to a college-bound Orange resident planning to major in English, Education, or a related subject. Click here to download the application form for the Lucy Scillia Scholarship.
Benefits of Membership
- Satisfaction in knowing that you are supporting the transformation of lives through the advancement of library services
- Invitations to an array of events including Members Only book sales.
- A newsletter published every spring and fall with information on upcoming events and a summary of events that have occurred.
Becoming a Friend
If you have questions or comments, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.