Contents Previous Page Next Page
Tyler City Development
Though Orange was served by both the Milford Turnpike and the Derby Turnpike, more lines of transportation were being opened. In 1867 construction of the railroad between New Haven and Derby was started. The line was put into operation on August 5, 1871.
With six trains in each direction every weekday, it was considered that land adjacent to the line would be in great demand for both business and residential purposes. Philander Ferry and Samuel Halliwell of New Haven purchased the Lewis Bradley Farm totaling 175 acres plus land belonging to Ell Russell, thinking that this would be the nucleus of a "new metropolis."
Searching for a name, they named it Tyler City after Morris Tyler who was then president of the railroad.
By March, 1872, a few avenues had been cut through the trees and foundations laid for two luxurious mansions.
While their property was adjacent to the railroad line, no stop had been planned at Tyler City; therefore, the Messrs. Ferry and Halliwell built a two-story station and presnted it to the railroad. It was duly accepted but Tyler City remained as a flag stop only.
A railroad station was established at Orange Center Road (where the Orange Center Shopping area is presently located) and Postmaster Oviatt became the station master as well and moved the post office to the railroad station.
In 1872 land speculation was no different than it is today, 100 years later. Ads appeared in a New Haven newspaper setting forth the charms of "2000 building lots for sale in Tyler City, the best and cheapest in
[picture caption] A layout of Tyler City building lots in 1872. The proposed metropolis, named after Morris Tyler, was 12 minutes by train from both New Haven and Derby. A dream of Philander Ferry and Samuel Halliwell, it never was realized.