Contents Previous Page Next Page
New Haven County. Only 12 minutes from New Haven on the Derby Railroad." Other inducements included a "free Railroad ticket - for one year to the head of every family who buys this spring."
On July 10, 1872, a public auction drew hundreds of persons to Tyler City. Ferry and Halliwell increased their capital by $501,000 and Mr. Ferry, who owned a bakery in the city of New Haven, was able to complete his elaborate home in Tyler City. After the first rush of interest, however, notes on the various parcels of property were allowed to lapse and property was returned to the realtors.
In 1871 a factory was built near the Tyler City Railroad Station and was occupied for a short time by the Sackett Manufacturing Company.
In 1873 West Haven, which was rapidly growing and was created as a broough, felt that the rural town government of Orange was inadequate. There were frequent controversies between the "upper section" and the borough. The farmers of Orange wanted "to keep their government simple and inexpensive" while the borough was advocating "higher taxes to obtain improvements which they felt were needed."
Also in 1873 the Tyler City School District was formed and in 1873-1874 school was held in one of the two waiting rooms of the railroad station. When the fall term opened in September, 1874, classes were held in the new Tyler City Schoolhouse. This building still stands today between New Haven Avenue and Spring Street as part of the property currently owned by the Reorganized Church of Latter Day Saints.
[picture caption] Top: From Old Grassy Hill Road, a view of the railroad station and surroundings about 1890.
Bottom: The railroad station has been replaced by this small shopping center on Orange Center Road.