Contents Previous Page Next
HISTORY OF ORANGE
the storm. She explained that she was trying to wash Satan out of her soul.
Around 1800, or a few years prior to that date, there must have been quite a building boom in the town, as there are numerous houses, still in fine condition, which must have been erected in that period. Most of them bear the conventional Colonial lines, but two or three have a different style of architecture. Several of these houses f ace the Green. The Edward L. Clark house was built in 1771.
The children of Frederick J. Hine are the ninth generation of Hines to live in the house on the Derby Turnpike, which was originally built by Samuel Hine.
Jonathan Rogers's house, south of the Green, was built in 1803. However, through the years additions or alterations have robbed some of these homes of their original, simple lines.
The age of the Nehemiah Woodruff house is not exactly known, but it was certainly built prior to 1800. On the deeds of this property, some of the boundary lines read: ''bounded on the west by the Indian lands." The land reserved for the Indians in Turkey Hill was adjacent to this property.
Some of the early historians seemed to think that there were signs of mineral deposits in different sections of the town. In fact, the early map lists a place designated as "asbestous rocks." We quote from Lambert's ''History of the Colony of New Haven'' - "In this parish, about twenty years ago (1818) a deposit of galena and silver was found on land now owned by Mr. John Lambert, lying on the old country road. It was discovered by David Lambert, the father of the present owner, by digging in a fox burrow. He obtained a considerable quantity of ore, but having a large farm which required his attention, he did not long continue to work it.
''Copper has lately been found in the same range of