Contents Previous Page Next
TRAGEDY STRIKES THE TOWN
The same line of growing and selling seeds was carried on by Stiles D. Woodruff. After his return from the Civil War, he bought the farm of Lyman Treat and immediately dirtily began to grow seeds for the wholesale trade. In 1890 he took his sons, Frank C. and Watson S., into the business with him, under the firm name of S. D. Woodruff & Sons. They opened a branch store in New York City, under the management of Frank C. Woodruff, while Watson S. Woodruff had charge of the home office. On the death of their father in 1906, the two brothers continued the business until the death of Watson S. in 1930, when Frank C. managed to carry on alone. In 1944, just prior to his death, he sold his interests in the business to Hugh C. Laird and Eric Dahlberg, who still maintain the business under the original name of S. D. Woodruff & Sons.
For many, many years there has been a general store in the town. The early records show that John Bryan had a store near the Green. Later a store was run by George M. White in the building just across the street from the rail- road station and the Post Office. In 1883 Mr. White sold his interests in the store to two brothers from New Haven, William J. and George W. Scobie. This firm existed for a couple of years, when the business was assumed by William J. Scobie. Later Elbert W. Scobie joined his father, eventually succeeding him in the business. In 1925 a new building was constructed just a few rods south and across the street from the cemetery, and Mr. Scobie moved the store there. In 1958 the store was taken over by Irving Miller, the present manager.
THE POST OFFICE
In the early days of the town, the Post Office was located near the Green. Previous to 1861, postmasters were William T. Grant, Benjamin T. Clark, and Dennis B. Stone. Later Sidney F. Oviatt maintained the Post Office in his home just south of the Green. When the Derby- New Haven Railroad was opened in 1871, Mr. Oviatt