Contents Previous Page Next
THE TYLER CITY BUBBLE
THE railroad between New Haven and Derby was under construction from 1867 to 1871 and was put into operation on August 5, 1871. Older residents recall that there were six trains in either direction every week day. This led to the belief that all the land adjacent to the railroad would be in demand for business or residential purposes.
Two New Haven prospectors, Messrs. Philander Ferry and Samuel Halliwell, followed the course of the railroad, seeking a new town site. The farm of Lewis Bradley took their eye. This was claimed to be one of the best f arms in Orange, consisting of about one hundred and seventy- five acres. They added to that some land belonging to Mr. Ell Russell. They bought this land, thinking that it would be the beginning of a new metropolis, and as it was adjacent to the new railroad, they called it Tyler City, after the President of the railroad, Morris Tyler.
On the 14th of March, 1872, a few avenues were cut among the trees and the foundations laid for two luxurious mansions. This land was first cleared by cutting down the trees and making charcoal pits by piling up the wood.
To get the trains to stop at Tyler City, the hopeful realtors built a two-story station and presented it to the railroad. Although this building was accepted, Tyler City was always just a flag stop on the line. The following advertisement appeared in one of the New Haven papers: ''For sale, 2000 building lots in Tyler City, the best and cheapest in New Haven County. Only twelve minutes from New Haven on the Derby railroad. A free ticket