Contents     Previous Page     Next Page

assist in torch light parades. They called themselves the ''Plumed Knights." Their mounts were not fancy polo ponies--just their faithful farm horses; but as they were the only mounted troop in this section of the County, they were in great demand, and created quite a sensation whenever they visited the surrounding towns or cities. They had distinctive uniforms, and each man carried a lighted torch. They received many invitations to participate in parades.
While the Green was set aside as public property, it was sadly neglected. The old custom of pasturing geese on it had long since been discontinued. The boys had used it as a ball field, but it was no improvement to the town.
In the Fall of 1890 public sentiment began to point toward village improvement. Many public meetings were held and plans discussed, which resulted in vigorous action in the Spring of 1891. The community idea, which has always played such a prominent part in this town, came again into play. The resourceful citizens brought their teams and all worked together, plowing and scraping. Sometimes there were as many as thirty teams at work at the same time. The ground was graded, levelled, and then seeded, to make a central Green of which the Town could be justly proud.
During World War I, a very simple wooden Honor Roll was placed on the northern end of the Green, containing the names of the men and women who were serving their country in various fields. This was only a temporary affair, and a more lasting memorial was considered necessary. Accordingly, a large native boulder was set up, toward the lower end of the Green, with a bronze tablet, suitably inscribed, to commemorate all of the citizens of the town who had answered their country's call in time of war. This was appropriately landscaped and was officially dedicated at the close of the Memorial Exercises on Sunday, May 29, 1932. When World War II again called our boys and girls to the colors, it was felt that their names