Contents Previous Page Next
HISTORY OF ORANGE
should occupy a place of prominence, so a very attractive Honor Roll was built around the tall flag-pole in the center of the Green, bearing the names of the hundreds who went to all parts of the world. The dedication of this Honor Roll took place after the Memorial services held on Sunday, May 30, 1943.
THE ORANGE GRANGE
The Orange Grange, No. 128, was organized at the Town Hall at Orange Center on the evening of December 18, 1891. Its charter roll comprised the following names: Frank C. Woodruff, Stiles D. Woodruff, Henry M. Hunt, Dwight E. Russell, Stephen D. Russell, Elizur B. Russell, Herbert E. Russell, Theron L. Alling, Watson S. Woodruff, Wilbur J. Hoyes, William T. Andrew, Franklin Finney, Julia A. Woodruff, Henry G. Nibbletts, Alice W. Hunt, Mary R. Russell, Anna B. Russell, Ernest Alling, Helena Alling, Charles F. Smith, Bela M. Alling, Mary E. Andrew, and Isabelle Finney. Frank C. Woodruff was elected the first Master.
At the beginning, the meetings were held on the second and fourth Mondays of each month at the Town Hall. Early in 1897 it became manifest that a kitchen and cloak- room would be convenient accessories, and steps were taken towards raising the necessary funds by various methods. On June 18, 1897, a gift was received from the Dorcas Society, which was composed of a group of young ladies of the Town.
A building committee was appointed, and said committee decided not only to build a kitchen and cloakroom, but a hall as well, to be used by the Grange and other organizations. Early in April, 1898, the foundations were laid as an addition to the Town Hall. Arthur D. Clark was the building contractor. As the expense was shared by many who were not members of the Order, the public had joint ownership with the Grange in the new building.
In 1897, through the efforts of the Grange, and the assistance of interested residents, a flag pole was erected